

# The Privy



# Barony of Terra Pomaria

Chronicler's Words

August 7, 2012

#### Greetings!

August seems to be such a busy month, both on the SCA calendar and the modern one. Summer starts winding to an end and it seems like there is so much to squeeze in to the remaining hours! I hope that you are able to take time this month to attend the Terra Pomaria Ithra on August 25<sup>th</sup>. I took a look through the class list today and found myself getting excited. I do believe that I will be making the time in my schedule to attend, and I hope to see you there too. I admit I had not really thought much about it until that class list crossed my path, so I thought I would share that tantalizing class list with you too.

Easy English Country Dance: three dances to get your

feet wet

Fingerloop Braiding

Graphic Heraldry (core)

**Beginning Lampworking** 

**Bardic Teaching Circle** 

Medieval Stockings

Herbs and Their Uses

Renaissance Music Ensemble

Being an Officer in the Society (with an emphasis on

the Seneschallate

Survey of Medieval Architecture (core)

Getting Started with Medieval Cooking

Old World/New World Foods

**Pewter Casting** 

Pewter Castings & Mould Making



If this list whets your appetite for learning like it did mine, know that you can find more information on the Ithra website:

### http://ithra.antir.sca.org/idisplay.php?topic=classes&it=5578

Registration ends on the 17<sup>th</sup> of August and they will not be able to take walk-ins on the day of the Ithra. I hope to see you there!

Yours in Service,

Lady Melannei Athenaios

#### Inside this issue:

List of Royalty,	2-3
Officers and	
Champions	

Local Gatherings 3

Calendar of 4 Events

July Financial 5-6 Committee Meeting Minutes

July Business 7-9 Meeting Minutes



### Curia

### Their Royal Majesties of An Tir

Vik Vikingsson and Astrid of the Fjordlands

### Their Highnesses of the Summits

Aaron Duncan & Telisia Brutusdottir

#### Their Excellencies of Terra Pomaria

Michel Evers and Francesca Maria Volpelli bb.terrapomaria@gmail.com "...What a family is without a steward, a ship without a pilot, a flock without a shepherd, a body without a head, the same, I think, is a kingdom without the health and safety of a good monarch."

-Queen Elizabeth the First, to her brother King Edward c. 1550

### Officers of Terra Pomaria

SENESCHAL: Mathea Volpella da Perusia tpseneschal@gmail.com

HEAVY MARSHAL: Lord Peder Georg Jensen Peder.Georg.Jensen@gmail.com

LIST MINISTER: Mhairi mon myn Cymru Rosemarygarrels@hotmail.com

**EQUESTRIAN MARSHAL**: HL Tassi peachypiggies@hotmail.com

TARGET MARSHAL: OPEN

CHANCELLOR OF THE EXCHEQUER: Lord Simon Swanbourne tpexchequer@gmail.com

**CHAMBERLAIN: OPEN** 

LIBRARIAN: Baronessa Francesca Maria Volpelli volpelli\_fm7419@comcast.net

GOLD KEY: Lady Ainslee Goldheart lady.ainslee@gmail.com

**HERALD:** Lord Ji'lid al-banna ibn Hyder tpbaronialherald@gmail.com

MINISTER OF ARTS & SCIENCE: Egen Brauer von Starkberg TPArtSci@gmail.com

CHRONICLER: Lady Melannei Athenaios tpchronicler@gmail.com

**GRETE BOKE:** OPEN

WEB MINISTER Lord Kenji kenjisca@gmail.com CHIRURGEON: Lord Kenji kenjisca@gmail.com

CHATELAINE: Herr Torsten Von Hesse torsten.von.hessen@gmail.com

**SCRIBE**: Berte le Webbere baojianth@me.com **FAMILY ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR**: OPEN





### Champions

Heavy Defender: Sver

Archery: Lord Brendon Strongbow

Arts & Sciences: Egen Brauer von Starkberg

Rapier: Msgr. Chrestien de Valois Youth Champion: Leaf Wyndswift

Local Gatherings

**Ceilidh:** 2nd Monday, October-May, 7pm, Location to be determined.

**Business Meeting:** 3rd Monday, 7pm, Round Table Pizza at Keizer Station, Contact: Mathea Volpella da Perusia tpseneschal@gmail.com

A & S Day: 4th Monday, 7 pm. Contact Egen Brauer von Starkberg at TPArtSci@gmail.com for the address.

**Scribal Night:** 3rd Wednesday, 7pm upstairs at the Clockworks Café & Cultural Center across from Art Department and Chemeketa parkade. Contact Berte at baojianth@me.com

Bardic Music Night: Currently on hiatus. Contact Dame Juliana van Aardenburg at julianavana@comcast.net or 503-363-7512.

**Equestrian Practice:** Generally every 4th Saturday 10am-2pm—RSVP required. Contact HL Tassi at peachypiggies@hotmail.com

Heavy Weapons / Rapier Fencing Fighter Practice: Every Wednesday, 7:00 PM and every Sunday at 4:00 PM at Clear Lake Elementary in Keizer, OR.

**Archery Practice:** To be determined.



This is the August 2012 issue of The Privy, a publication of the Barony of Terra Pomaria of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. (SCA Inc.). The Privy is not a corporate publication of SCA Inc. and does not delineate SCA Inc. policies. Contact the Chronicler for information on reprinting photographs, articles, or artwork. The Privy is available for FREE, and can be obtained at http://terrapomaria.antir.sca.org/newsletter.htm or by e-mail. If you are not currently receiving The Privy and want it e-mailed to you contact the Chronicler at tpchronicler@gmail.com .

Submissions guidelines: If you wish to submit articles or notices, they are welcomed and will be published as space permits. Please understand that all submissions are subject to formatting and spelling adjustments. The chronicler reserves the right to edit any submissions for inappropriate content and may make changes to the final copy to ensure entries meet all guidelines for acceptability. Submission deadline for the upcoming month's Privy is by Business Meeting (3rd Monday of the month) and may be sent by hardcopy, disk or email to the Chronicler.



### Upcoming Events

Α	ı	C	ш	ıst

# **August 2012**

_	2					<b>7 1018</b>		
•	3rd-5th - Briaraok Bash, Shire of Briaroak Roseburg, OR	Sun	Mon	Tue	Wed	Thu	Fri	Sat
•	3rd-5th - Tryggvy's War IV, Barony of Three Mountains				1	2	3	4
	Clackamas & Multnomah Counties, OR	5	6	7	8	9	10	11
•	10th-12th - Acorn War XXIII, Shire of	J	U	1	O	9	10	
	Mountain Edge Yamhill County, OR	12	13	14	15	16	17	18
•	10th-12th - Lebus, Shire of Coeur du Val Corvallis, Benton County, OR	19	20	21	22	23	24	25
•	17th-19th - Harvest Tourney / Summit Archery Championship, Shire of Corvaria Bend, Jefferson, Deschutes, & Crook	26	27	28	29	30	31	
	Counties, OR							040

 25th - Terra Pomaria Ithra, Barony of Terra Pomaria
 Marion, Polk & Lincoln Counties, OR

31st-Sept 3rd - September Crown Tournament, Barony of Dragon's Laire Kitsap & N Mason Counties, WA

#### <u>September</u>

- 14th-16th Summits Fall Coronet, Shire
  of Briaroak
  Roseburg, OR
  22nd Boar's Head Hunt & Feast, Barony of Dragon's Mist
  Washington County, OR
- 28th-30th Tymberhavene Birthday Bash, Shire of Tymberhavene Coos & Curry Counties, OR

#### October

- ARC (Ancestral Rememberance Celebration), Shire of Myrtle Holt Grants Pass, OR
- Terra Pomaria Archery Championship, Barony of Terra Pomaria Marion, Polk & Lincoln Counties, OR
- Harvest Celebration and Championships, Barony of Adiantum Eugene, OR
- St. Crispins, Shire of Mountain Edge Yamhill County, OR
- Honor Feast, Barony of Three Mountains Clackamas & Multnomah Counties, OR

# September 2012

Sun	Mon	Tue	Wed	Thu	Fri	Sat
						1
2	3	4	5	6	7	8
9	10	11	12	13	14	15
16	17	18	19	20	21	22
23 30	24	25	26	27	28	29

### October 2012

Sun	Mon	Tue	Wed	Thu	Fri	Sat
	1	2	3	4	5	6
7	8	9	10	11	12	13
14	15	16	17	18	19	20
21	22	23	24	25	26	27
28	29	30	31			



## July Financial Committee Meeting Notes

Financial committee meeting 7-11-12 Meeting starts 6:54

In attendance: voting committee members-Meredith Alden, Vernon Pierce, Denise Van Dyke, Michael Strobel. Non-voting attendees-Melanie Mitchell, Cheri Beatie. Minutes recorded by Melanie Mitchell.

#### **Bar Gemels Original bid:**

**Estimated Income**-based without daytrip fee

Gate:

Adults 130 @ \$15 \$1950 Youth (12-17) 10 @ \$10 \$100 Child (5-11) 10 @ \$5 \$50 Merchant fees 5 @ \$15 or prize \$75 Feast: Pre-Reg Punch 45 @ \$35 \$1575 Ala cart \$600 Total Estimated Income \$4350

#### **Estimated Expenses**

Site Cost \$1750 Feast Food \$1000 Prizes \$75 Printing \$30 Décor \$50 Misc Supplies \$100 Activity Supplies \$50 Biffies (if needed) \$200 Total Estimated Expenses \$3255

Income \$4350 – Expenses \$3255 = \$1095 estimated profit

Site includes Pavilion, Kitchen, Learning Center, Infirmary, 10 cabins, 30 tent spaces and deposit. Miscellaneous includes batteries, biff supplies, cleaning supplies, site tokens

Prizes for Heavy Tourney, Rapier Tourney, Archery, A&S

Cheri-I didn't put in a day fee but have since heard complaints. I would like to put in a day fee. Simon-I think if you are having activities on more than one day, it makes sense to have a day fee. If you are having activities on only one day, you shouldn't have a separate fee than an event fee. There's the twilight tourney Friday

and possibly the griffin quest tourney Sunday.

Consensus is to have a day trip fee for Bar Gemels. Majority of committee agreed that the day fee should be the same on both Saturday and Sunday. Melanie proposes that we return to the adult fee of 18 weekend, 12 day fee. Consensus agrees that bid is approved with the revision of adult fee to \$18 weekend, \$12 day fee, youth day fee of \$7, children's day fee of \$5 and addition of \$5 per cabin bed fee.



### Bar Gemels Revised Bid:

#### **Estimated Income**

Weekend Fee:
Adults 80 @ \$18 \$1440
Youth (12-17) 6 @ \$10 \$60
Child (5-11) 6 @ \$5 \$30
Day Fee:
Adults 50 @ \$12 \$600
Youth (12-17) 4 @ \$7 \$28
Child (5-11) 4 @ \$3 \$12
Other Gate Income:
Bed in Cabin 80 @ \$5 \$400
Merchant fees 5 @ \$15 or prize \$75
Feast:
Pre-Reg Punch 45 @ \$35 \$1575

Pre-Reg Punch 45 @ \$35 \$1575 Gate Punch 10 @ \$40 \$400 Ala cart \$150

Total Estimated Income \$4735

#### **Estimated Expenses**

Site Cost \$1750

Feast Food \$1000 Prizes \$75 Printing \$30 Décor \$50 Misc Supplies \$100 Activity Supplies \$50 Biffies(if needed) \$200 Total Estimated Expenses \$3255

Income \$4770 – Expenses \$3255 = \$1515 estimated profit (main difference being the \$5 cabin fee which is our normal practice at this site.)

Meredith asked whether the branch or society pays for background checks. Melanie confirmed it is society. Which background checks we should do will be discussed at another time as it is beyond the scope of this meeting.

No Archery bid yet. DRF has been put in. Simon will propose bid through e-mail later.

No Martinmas bid. Bera was given a hard and fast deadline of 7/9/11 and Meredith did not receive it.

#### **Changing Banks:**

Simon did not like the atmosphere at Chase. They didn't seem to want our business. US Bank didn't want to help either. MAPS was willing to bend over backwards. They said the only thing that might be a problem is the signer sheet. She said the long distance signer (principality exchequer) might have to take the paper into a bank and sign it in front of a notary. MAPS has a branch all over our territory except Lincoln City. That is important due to deposits in general and specifically deposits of event income. We will be required to open a savings account (\$5). Unanimous vote to change to MAPS.

#### **Changing Signers:**

Unanimous agreement to change signers on checks. Signers that will be removed from the account are:

Traci Earhart

Melanie Mitchell Jeanne McCartney



## July Financial Committee Meeting Notes

List of signers will be: Ralph Balogh Meredith Alden Vern Pierce Denise Van Dyke George Beatie Michael Strobel

#### Secure thumb drive:

Meredith would like to get a secure thumb drive for the seneschal. She is digitizing as many of the seneschal documentation as possible and wants to hand it to next seneschal in secure format. It is \$30. Simon advised her that is within her monthly budget of \$50.

#### **Hospitality Table:**

Meredith made proposal of hospitality table for August Ithra. It would cost about \$35 if we have two coffee urns in the shed. Ainslee noted that one of the coffee urns was no longer working at the end of Bar Gemels. Unanimous approval. Michael says there are three urns in the shed not including the broken one. Michael will ask Francesca to check which one or more is working.

#### Laptop:

Simon proposes getting a new laptop. This one is 10 years old. The computer I propose buying would be \$330 It would come with Windows. I can do everything I need for the exchequer with it and OpenOffice

except Microsoft Office. Quickbooks would be about \$140. Quickbooks would be better for us than Quicken. It has a number pad. I would like the \$40 for the case. I would also like to get a warranty. Two 2-year warranty options, decent warranty or coverage of the same items and damage due to dropping or exposure to liquids etc... Total proposal \$559.98 or \$668.98 with extended warranty.

Michael suggests that we put the computer on the to-do list for the budget process so we can find out what other officers need. Meredith-or we could wait and look at sales in August or Holidays. Simon-Our current computer has Windows XP on it. XP will not be supported and will be open to lots of viruses in 2013. We need to do it by the end of the year. Meredith: How much do we expect the budgets for officers to change? Simon: People haven't been using them. Meredith: Also, we are looking at changing baronial storage, getting new thrones, eric poles etc... Discussion of possible expenses ensues. Determined the only new expense before end of year would probably be eric poles.

Vote comes down to 4 options, 1) buy now, 2) wait for budget (unknown amount), 3) emergency expense when it dies 4) see if we can get a lower price at August back to school sales. George Beatie was called in California, given situation by Meridith and he voted as well. 3 committee

votes for option 1 )buy now, 1 vote for 2) wait for budgetary meeting, 1 abstain (Simon-whose office will receive the computer).

#### **Ithra fund:**

Meredith asked if there is anything else we need to do as financial committee for dedicated fund for Ithra. Consensus is that we accept the funds for Ithra and put a 5 year expiration on it. After the 5 year time limit if they have not been able to set up a local Ithra bank account we will return it to the Ithra Southsound Campus. Simon will discuss the particulars with Sharon Kidder (sca nameSarra Peller) and bursar (John Louis Vifian).

#### **Revisiting Tithes:**

Melanie-we also need to revisit the amounts we wanted to tithe to kingdom, principality, travel fund etc... we intended in January, before the settlement payment sent the budget off kilter, to pay kingdom \$110, \$220 to summits general fund, \$50 to summits travel fund. Summits travel fund is doing pretty well, per Meredith. An Tir has not noted problems with budget but Summits general fund is very low. Michael proposes \$100 to kingdom and \$100 to Summits. Consensus approves.

Meeting adjourned at 9:12 pm.

July Business Meeting Notes

Terra Pomaria Business Meeting July 16, 2012

In Attendance: Melannei Athenaios, Egen Brauer von Regensburg, Mathea Volpella da Perusia, Peder George Jensen, Ainslee Goldheart, Fortune verch Thomas, Mhairi mon myn Cymru, Brigit Guernsey, Michel Evers, Francesca Volpelli, Catarine Quhiting, Berte le Webbere, Anne the Red, Ulf the Wanderer, Torsten von Hessen, Simon Swanbourne, Ji'lid, ibn Hyder, Alex.

Meeting started 7:05 pm

Baron and Baronessa:

An Tir West War was a good time. It was lightly attended comparatively. The weather was fantastic. An Tir won on Saturday.

#### Seneschal:

Reminder about quarterly reports, due August 1<sup>st</sup>. They may not seem that important, but they are the first thing mentioned at Summits Moot and Curia. I need electronic copies of SCA Membership cards and ID cards. The Membership cards are due to

corporate requirements and ID cards are in case officers are in possession of baronial property. Some are missing and I think it is best to move to electronic copies where possible.

#### Exchequer:

\$7532.74 Bank balance \$8597.72. We had a financial committee meeting. We decided to tithe \$100 to kingdom and principality. We will be leaving Bank of America and going to MAPS (and there was much rejoicing). We decided to replace the excheq-



# July Business Meeting Notes

uer computer. I have already purchased it and managed to save \$60 off the original bid. The computer itself was \$299. The computer that we had will be going to the Chronicler. We also voted to approve a \$35 hospitality table for Ithra.

Chamberlain: Nothing new to report. Librarian:

Nothing new to report.

#### Marshal:

Due to change in jobs I have missed several practices. Weylyn has been covering them as well as my lady who has become a junior marshal. Last Thursday's practice was extremely well attended. MidWillamette was nonexistent due to war. Golden Apple is this Thursday.

Rapier Marshal: OPEN

Report from our Rapier Champion "As Baronial Rapier Champion I will make Baronial Rapier Reports until the Barony gets a Baronial Rapier Marshal. Sorry about not having a June report, I thought Alail had filled the position.

- Long and Short of It (02 June) Sir Alail Horsefriend served as Field Marshal. Rapier: we had five fighters, Don Luciano defeated Msgr. Chrestien in the finals. Reduced Armour Experiment was in use. Rapier Melee: The two Dons defeated the three other fighters. Cut and Thrust: Demonstration with three fighters.
- Mid-Valley Rapier Practice (07
   June) Three fighters in attendance. Mid-Valley Rapier Practice (05
   July) No practice because of An Tir
   / West War.
- Baronial Rapier Kit: No progress.
   Probably safe to assume that it is all gone. Minimum kit needed: two masks, multiple pairs of gloves, two jackets (more sizes the better), two gorgets, two hoods (these could be fitted to the masks), two rapiers, one dagger, one buckler, one cloak, tool

kit, copy of the Rapier ABCs, bag(s) for all.

 Baronial Rapier Marshal: I believe Sir Alail Horsefriend is interested in the position."
 Seneschal noted Alail is interested and has sent in a resume, but is not

Seneschal noted Alail is interested and has sent in a resume, but is not able to be here today. For now she will let our champion know that we still need his help filling in.



List Minister:

Nothing to report. No Membership card yet. Problem with receiving it via mail and website is not finding it through the current address. (Mathea recommended that she look it up through the credit card transaction ID that she got through website.) I will be at Golden Apple Thursday. Golden Apple last month was won by Peder.

Archery Marshal: OPEN No one currently interested. No one is warranted as an archery marshal at business meeting. Simon is in process of getting warranted as a junior marshal but not able to take the office.

Equestrian Marshal: Absent.

Report via Ainslee. There were no practices last month and there isn't one scheduled for July due to Tassi's wedding.

Youth Armor Combat: OPEN
No one currently authorized AND has a
background check. Duvessa is interested
and enthusiastic but is pending background check. That process has been
started.

#### Herald:

I have not attended any events. I have been working with my new deputy, Duvessa. Met with new deputy herald – evaluated past experience and compared available reference materials for names, arms, and training. I attempted communication with Principality Herald with no success – will continue to try.

#### A&S:

Thanks for those that have contacted me about wanting to teach or learn. There have been no official A&S meetings as yet. I would like to propose next Monday evening--the 23rd--as our first gathering. There would be no official topic as yet, it would be an informational get together to work on projects and determine what people are interested in, both learning and teaching. My plan is to use the 4<sup>th</sup> Monday of each month at 7pm, starting the 23<sup>rd</sup> of July at my house, 1245 17<sup>th</sup> St NE, Salem OR 97301. This will be an informal informational and A&S session. We have lots of space and equipment for classes. If people want to teach in a different space that is fine as well. I welcome any and all instructors who would be willing to volunteer their time to present workshops. Additionally we are working on the August Ithra, and there are tentative plans for a Grand Ithra in February. (Francesca-Acadamia is also really interested in having classes in this area.) Anyone who would like to be my deputy or contingency deputy, please send me an e-mail. My e-mail is TPArtSci@gmail.com.



# July Business Meeting Notes

#### Chronicler:

I expect the Privy to be back on schedule by the first week of August. The May and June business meeting notes have been sent out to the to yahoo group and the waiting period will be over at the end of this week. I expect to publish a Privy by the 24th before getting back to our regular schedule of publishing the first week of each month. If anyone has any changes or additions that they feel need to be made to the notes, please let me know by Saturday the 21st. I do have the chronicler's inventory, and have send my quarterly report to the Summits. I have also created a new address in gmail for the chronicler. I'm still working on getting it updated on the website.

#### Grete Boke:

I have received all the physical files that Bera was storing. Nothing else to report.

#### Webminister:

Computers are back up and running. Now I am catching up on a backlog of corrections and changes.

#### Chirurgeon: Nothing to report

#### Chatelaine:

I have gotten a couple of contacts from some people on the coast.

Ceilidh site: We cannot go back to our current location as they are considering selling the building. Keizer Heritage hall wants \$800. I will need to go to the Lions club at their meeting to discuss their site. I will coordinate with Duvessa regarding Our Savior Lutheran Community Hall in South Salem to get the information. I will check that out as soon as I have the information. Cost at Chemeketa is too high. I will look into the KROC center and the Keizer Senior Center and the South Salem Senior Center. We need to make the decision fairly soon. If anyone is interested in doing some looking for us, we are looking for

\$25 an hour, renting for 2 hours.

#### Gold Key:

I received some much needed pieces from Karin after L&S. I have not been able to get any pieces done.

#### Scribe:

This Wednesday we will have Scribal night at 7 pm at Clockworks Cafe. Parking is really easy. I have the mini conference. We don't have many charters. Brigit will bring calligraphy books and pens for those interested in practicing calligraphy. Scribal night will cost \$10 a night for the mini conference room. \$20 a night for that larger rooms which can fit up to 30 people.

Family Activities Coordinator: OPEN Currently no applicants.



#### Events:

 Acorn War-August 10th-Geoffrey is looking for people to do things. He currently only has 3 people committed. Needs shifts at gate, marshals on the field, take down and clean

- up. Please send e-mails to Brigit and Geoffrey if you can volunteer.
- Ithra-August 25-Finally have site contract signed off. We are legitimately allowed to have fire at Western Oregon. We will be doing lampwork beads and pewter casting. Chancellor is Sarra Peller. As soon as we have a final class schedule I will be spamming the lists. I will let you know when registration is open. Please contact Sarra if you want to teach. Barony will have a hospitality table. This has been approved by financial committee. We'll need to put up signs for parking etc. We will have to do gate. Class fees and reimbursement of teachers will be handled through exchequer's office. Many of those payments will be done in advance. Registrar should be able to hand people packets and have them sign waivers.
- State fair-August 26<sup>th</sup>, 11 am-7 pm. We have a limited number of free passes. 8 people total. Ji'lid and Fortune, Ulf and Duvessa, Mariotta have volunteered. I would like to make sure that the free passes go to people that will commit to 4 hours. Need Demo boards and pamphlet and tablecloths. I am working on something to avoid Demo boards having issues with wind. We cannot have any kind of weapons. I will be able to have videos of fighting. I need STUFF! I need volunteers and need to turn in names before August 1<sup>st</sup>! Berta suggested zip ties for Baronial banners or other demo boards. Discussion ensued regarding some kind of newcomers gathering after the Demo. Fortune and Torston will discuss offline.
- Archery Championship-no bid in yet. Simon visited a site with the Baron and Baronessa. It is just south of Monmouth. Agricultural land will be harvested by the day of the event. He is willing to rent for nothing. He just wants money toward an extra cleaning of the biffie on site. If we



### July Business Meeting Notes



have more people we can get more biffies in future. Owner is excited, and willing to put on garb and come down an shoot. Tons of parking and easy to set up safety zone. He would be open to equestrian and/or a weekend event.

- Martinmas—no bid and no site. We will not be having Martinmas this year to avoid burnout of our officers and volunteers. We are not "married" to the name if someone wants to open it up to other ideas. If we want it at UUCS we need to reserve ASAP as that is why we lost the site. Discussion ensued regarding available sites. Torsten requested the Winter's End book to start looking into a bid.
- Bar Gemels April 26-28 2013financial committee approved
  Ainslee's bid. The vision for this
  year's event is to have a theme centered around the days of the Pas
  d'Arms in the 13<sup>th</sup> and 14<sup>th</sup> century.
  The idea is to tie in all the activities
  around this theme. A torchlight
  tourney, if possible, could be cen-

tered on the seedier side of town, perhaps a thieves tourney. Archery and rapier to be determined by their respective marshals. A possible A&S competition could be for best use of heraldry in garb (shields etc don't count) which would allow the whole populace to compete if they chose. Potential classes could be Silk banner painting or an embellishment class. And of course what tavern would be complete without beer and what better way to celebrate that than with a brewing competition.

• Long & Short 2013-taking bids.



#### Old Business:

- Griffon's quest fundraising. We are required to do so as we had the griffon's quest tourney. Simon-There will be a request for donations at the Archery Tournament I am bidding on.—Francesca-need to discuss fundraising (in general) separately.
- events that are suitable for Equestrian. Brigit wants us to make sure that we don't want to end up feeling "stuck" with **having** to do Equestrian at a specific event. She wants us to be extremely careful that we don't lock in an event where we feel we have to do it. It is so hard to find

sites for equestrian. Francesca recommends that we try a separate equestrian event that is a day event for all but the horse owners. It would be every other year or something like that, to get it off and running but not make it a requirement.

#### New business:

- We need to put the garb/regalia together for youth champion. Fortune-Azizah said she would make a new hood when she found out that the beautiful one she made when she stepped down was destroyed in the new champion's house fire.
- Two children camps that need fighters or people in garb on Friday the 20th. Friday at 4-contact Fortune. Friday at 1:30 contact Mhairi.

Meeting ended 8:45 pm.

